The Green Revolution was a period when the productivity of agriculture increased drastically as a result of new advances. During this time period HYVS (High Yielding variety seeds ), new chemical fertilizers and synthetic herbicides and pesticides were created. The chemical fertilizers made it possible to supply crops with extra nutrients and, therefore, increase yield.
The Green revolution in India started between 1966 - 1967. The government implemented the new agriculture policy of high yielding seeds so as to increase agriculture production
- Dr. Norman Borlog is considered as the father of Green Revolution.
- MS Swaminathan is known as the father of Indian Green Revolution.
The production of wheat which stood at 11 million tonnes in 1960-61 raise to 76 million tonnes in 1999-2000. Punjab, Haryana, west U.P, Ganga Nagar(Rajasthan) are mostly contributing states in Green Revolution.
The White Revolution is related with milk, speedy increase in the field of milk production takes place in this time. It was the largest integrated dairy development programme I the world started in 1970. NDRI – National Dairy Research Institute in Karnal (Haryana) played a key role in white revolution.
- Operation flood is related with milk production
- NDRI has produced a cloaning she buffalo names as Garima.
- AMUL – Anand Milk Unit Ltd situated in Gujrat is an important contributor.
- India is the largest milk producing country in the world
- Increase level of milk 108.5 million tonnes in the year 2008-09 as compared to 53.9 million tonnes in 1990-91.
The term "Yellow Revolution" has been used to describe as the dramatic increase in oilseed production in India which began in 1986.
The Black revolution is related to increase the production of petroleum products. Its main aim to make India self-reliant in petroleum products.
It is related to ‘Eggs’, practice of raising poultry, such as chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, as a subcategory of animal husbandry, for the purpose of farming meat or eggs for food are included in Silver Revolution.
Some Other Revolution
- Blue Revolution : It is related to Fish Production
- Brown Revolution : Related to Leather and Cocoa production
- Golden Fiber Revolution : Jute Production is the main focus or Fiber Revolution
- Grey Revolution : Fertilizer, production of good quality of fertilizers is the motive of gray revolution
- Pink Revolution : Onion production/Pharmaceutical/Prawn production
- Red Revolution : Meat & Tomato Production
- Round Revolution : Potato production is increased
- Silver Fiber Revolution : Cotton production is highly increased in silver fiber revolution.