Biology is the science of life forms and living process. Aristotle is known as the father of biology.
Parts of Biology:
The branch of biology which deals with the study of plants is known as botany. Theophrastus is known as the father of botany
The branch of biology which deals with the study of animals is known as zoology.
Some Common Terms
- Anatomy: This branch of biology deals with the internal structure and organisation of animals.
- Biodiversity: Biodiversity refers to the variety of life. It studies the number of species in an ecosystem or on earth.
- Biotechnology: This deals with the use of living systems and organisms to develop or make biological products. Biotechnology related to cellular and biomolecular processes to develop technologies and products that help improve our lives and the health of our planet.
- Cell Biology: Also known as cytology. This deals with the study of cell
- DNA (Deoxyribo Nucleic Acid): It is the carrier of genetic information. DNA is a molecule that contains the instructions an organism needs to develop, live and reproduce. These instructions are found inside every cell, and are passed down from parents to their children.
- Ecology: The study of environment and its intersection with organisms is known as ecology.
- Gene: The Functional and structural unit of inheritance is known as gene
- Histology: This is the study of anatomy of cells and tissues of plants and animals.
- Physiology: This deals with the function and activities of living organisms
- Virology: This deals with the study of viruses.